Easy Exercises Working Moms Can Do on the Job
Working moms are pulled in so many directions. Juggling families, dinners, that 5 p.m. meeting the CEO just called (which means you're going to be late picking up your youngest from the sitter), and oh no! Did you manage to actually PAY the sitter this week and pack lunches?
It's a lot for anyone to juggle.
So how to squeeze in a workout while you're working so you can go home and spend quality time with the fam? Here are some exercises working moms can do on the job.
1) Take the Stairs - An old favorite of mine is to take the stairs rather than the elevator. Especially down, if you're working in a high rise. It's a great way to get a little workout in on your way to the office, lunch, or home.
2) Leg Lifts - Sit at your desk with your back straight against the the chair. Extend each leg, lifting it high up, hold it for a couple of seconds, then do the same with the other leg.
3) Push-Ups - No, not the floor kind - use your desk! Place your palms on your desk, stand back as far as you can and lower your chest to the surface, then raise yourself back up.
4) Core Workout - Cross your legs while sitting on your desk chair, placing your hands firmly on the armrests. Tighten your core muscles and push yourself up a few inches. Hold for as long as you can.
5) Walk for Lunch - Instead of sitting around the lunch table, grab your iPod and go for a power walk. It's a great way to get your cardio in without getting too sweaty.
6) Hand Weights - Keep a pair of hand weights at your desk and use them throughout the day.
7) Twist It Up - Sit at your desk, back straight, and twist from side to side to work those abs.
8) Stand Up - Standing, as opposed to sitting, burns many more calories. See what parts of your job you can do while standing.
9) Get Up - Whenever you begin to feel anxious or super sleepy, take a quick lap around the office to get your blood pumping and burn some calories.
10) Park Far Away - If you park farthest away from the entrance to your office, you'll get in a quick workout before and after work!
11) Throw Your Hands in the Air - March in place and pretend to be "raising the roof" by throwing your hands up above your head.
12) March Time - If standing at your desk while working gets old, go ahead and throw in some marching. Lift your knees as high as you can while marching in place.
13) Ski in Place - Kick your legs backwards toward your butt and bend your arms at the elbows, straightening them with each butt kick.
14) The Rocky - Rock left to right on your feet, punching the air as you go to loosen up stiff neck muscles and reduce the risk of those pesky tension headaches.
15) Lunge It, Baby - While standing at your desk, spread your legs wide and lunge side to side. It's a great way to get your whole body working, especially if you add in some front punches.
Are you a working mom? How do you stay in shape? Sound off in the comments section below!
Article courtesy of The Stir