Vibriosis, a rare bacterial infection, has been identified in a Suffolk County individual who recently died, according to Gov. Kathy Hochul.
Infection with vibriosis can cause a wide range of symptoms. Last month 2 people from Connecticut died from the infection. Eat raw shell fish or swimming in salt water with a open wound can lead to the in infection.
The death is still being investigated to determine if the bacteria was encountered in New York waters or elsewhere.
(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File)